Frequently Asked Questions
How much time does the process take?
The length of the process mainly depends on the speed in which we receive the required documents. Usually, a setup of a BV with a non corporate shareholder takes a week or two.
Once the required documents are received, the notary starts the draft of the deed of incorporation, the drafts will be sent for approval after one week.
Setting up a company with a corporate shareholder tends to be more time consuming, since there are multiple corporate documents that need to be collected and legalised.
See our Timeline for more details
Does Legalee provide a local director if I do not have one?
This is not a service we offer.
Can Legalee open a bank account on my behalf?
No, the company owner/director will need to go the the bank office themselves to apply for a company bank account.
I do not have an office address in the Netherlands, can Legalee help with this?
We do not offer any office/address services. We can help you with finding a suitable (Virtual) office space for your company.
How much does it cost?
How much do I pay in taxes every year?
Personal Income Tax Rates
|Personal Income Tax (IB)||Taxable income||Tax percentage|
|Bracket 1||Up to €68.508||37,35 %|
|Bracket 2||From €68.508||49,5 %|
Corporate income tax rates in the Netherlands per year
|Up to €200.000||19%||16,5%||15%|
VAT is called ‘BTW’ in Dutch. The standard rate for most goods and services is 21%
What documents are required to set up the company?
To start up the incorporation process, you will only need to provide the following documents:
- Passport copy of all directors/shareholders of the Dutch company
- Proof of residence of shareholders and directors. For example a bank/utility/phone bill (no older than 2 months).
- Rental agreement of the office address the company will be registered at. (Not necessary if the company will be registered at residential address of (one of) the shareholders).
- If the shareholder is a company, additionally required is a document that shows the name, address and registration number of the incorporating company.
Below an overview of all required documents per incorporation scenario:
|In person in Amsterdam||Power of attorney||Corporate Shareholder|
|Power of Attorney||✕||✓||✓|
|Proof of residence||✓||✓||✓|
How do I close down my BV?
Step 1: Assess the financial position
- Identify your debtors and creditors;
- Determine whether the B.V. still has property;
- Make an overview of all contracts and all (future) obligations;
- Check if your B.V. still has shares in another company;
- Find out which tax obligations still have to be met.
Step 2: Dissolution decision
The resolution to dissolve is taken by the general meeting of shareholders. Determine during the meeting who is the liquidator of the B.V. is appointed where and with whom the administration will be kept and whether the board is discharged. A termination decision must always be entered in the KvK Trade Register. You do this through the "form 17A". Are you the only shareholder of the B.V.? Then you can take the decision to dissolve without an official general meeting of shareholders.
Please note: when a decision to dissolve comes into effect, you cannot simply revoke or withdraw without the intervention of a judge. This follows from Article 2:19 paragraph 4 of the Dutch Civil Code B.V. immediately ceases to exist in the event of a turbo liquidation of a petition with the court. When the two months expire without opposition set up, the liquidator may proceed with payment according to the distribution plan.